Competition Rules & Regulations
NPL West 11U & 12U boys division
The NPL west 11U & 12U boys division is a league that comprised of clubs from the U.S. Soccer Developmental Academy (DA) for teams in the 11U & 12U boys age groups. The league will consist of the following full-time U.S. Soccer Development Academy Clubs & NPL West Directors:
- Albion- Noah Gins and Wayne Crowe
- Arsenal- PJ Brown
- FC Golden State- Jimmy Nordberg
- LAFC-Todd Saldana
- LA Galaxy-Jaime Harvey and William (Billy) Bizzaro
- LA Galaxy San Diego- Steve Cowell
- Pateadores- Teddy Chronopoulos and Sean Forster
- Real So Cal- Alberto Bru (AB) and Lloyd Biggs
- Strikers- Don Ebert and Roy Chingirian
- Surf- Josh Henderson & Cody Worden
- Criteria: in order to qualify to participate in the league, a club needs to be recognized as a full-time US Soccer Development Academy Club (DA) with older age DA teams. Clubs that are not DA clubs or are part time DA clubs (only teams in a few age groups), do not quality to participate in the league.
- Each participating club in the NPL West will have 1 vote on all matters related to the league (discipline, rules, format, etc…). A majority vote will determine the decision. Should there be a tie amongst the clubs, US Club Soccer and SoCal Premier NPL West League will be the deciding vote.
- Player Eligibility & Rostering
- Eligible Player
- Player Registration
- Players properly registered with US Club Soccer
- Age Appropriate (for the 2019-2020 season)
- 11U: Born on or after January 1, 2009
- 12U: Born on or after January 1, 2008
- 11U player may guest play in 12U game
- Ineligible Player
- Player not properly registered with US Club Soccer
- Any team using an ineligible player during the league competition will forfeit (by a 0-3 margin) any games in which the player participated. In addition, the player and coach will be suspended for a minimum of three (3 games). A committee made up of a representative from SoCal Premier and each NPL West Club member (excluding the club in violation) will determine if a stricter penalty should be served.
- Roster Size
- Game day rosters will be limited to 15 players
- Maximum roster size: 20 players each for both 11U & 12U
- In the event a player on the roster leaves the club (quits, moves, etc…) an additional player can be added to the roster to maintain 20.
- Player Transfer & Release
- If a player transfers from one NPL West club to another NPL West club during the season, the player will have to sit out eight (8) NPL West games before the player can participate in the league. In addition, any transfer player will sit all head-to-head regular season fixtures between former and new club.
- If an NPL West club is okay with a player transferring to another NPL West club, the player is okay to participate with the new club. However, the player will have to sit out all games versus the players former club.
- The player transfer & release rules only apply to the NPL West games.
- Competition Rules
- The U11 division does NOT allow heading of the ball. This is a US Soccer mandated rule.
- Recommended Field Dimensions & Goal Frame Dimensions
- Field Dimensions
- 70-80 yards in length
- 45-55 yards in width
- Lining the field
- Using one half of a full sizes 11 a-side field will be acceptable for the 11U and 12U division. If using the half of an 11 a-side field, the length 11U/12U field should be the width of the 11 aside field.
- Grass field must be lined with paint.
- It is okay to line turf fields with cones.
- Corner flags are required on both turf and grass fields.
- Goal Frame Dimensions
- The Recommended goal frame size is 18.5 feet wide and 6.5 feet in height.
- A goal frame of 21 feet wide and 7 feet in height will be acceptable, but not preferred.
- All Goal Frames should be properly anchored to the ground
- for 9v9, 11U and 12U punting is permitted. 11U's are not permitted to head the ball, same as last year. Infractions should follow 9v9 PDI from US Soccer: https://static.ussdcc.com/users/148963/897090_eng-october2017pdi.pdf
- Playing Format for 11U & 12U
- There will be 1 Adult Referee at each game.
- The 11U & 12U league will be split into a northern conference and southern conference. Each club/team will play home and away (across both conferences) for a total of 16 games. In addition, each club/team will play one (1) additional game within their conference:
- Southern conference 4 additional games (20 total games)
- Northern conference 3 additional games (19 total games)
- FC Golden State
- LA Galaxy
- Real So Cal
- LA Galaxy San Diego
Example: LA Galaxy Schedule:
v FGCS - 3 games
v LAFC - 3 games
v RSC - 3 games
v Pats - 3 games
v Arsenal - 2 games
v Surf - 2 games
v Strikers - 2 games
v Albion - 2 games
v LAGSD - 2 games
Example: Albion Schedule
v LAG - 2 games
v LAFC - 2 games
v FGCS - 2 games
v RSC - 2 games
v Pats - 2 games
v Arsenal - 3 games
v Surf - 3 games
v Strikers - 3 games
v LAGSD - 3 games
- Proposed Play Dates
- Week 1 – Sept 7
- Week 2 – Sept 14
- Week 3 – Sept 21
- Week 4 – Sept 28
- Week 5 – Oct 5
- Week 6 – Oct 12
- Week 7 – Oct 19
- Week 8 – Oct 26
- Week 9 – Nov 2
- Week 10 – Nov 9
- Week 11 – Nov 16
- Week 12 – Nov 23
- Week 13 – Dec 7
- Rain Make-up 1 – Dec 14
- Winter Break – Dec/Jan
- Week 14 – Jan 11
- MLK/Vegas Tourney – Jan 18
- Week 15 – Jan 25
- Week 16 – Feb 1
- Week 17 – Feb 8
- Week 18 – Feb 15
- President’s Weekend – Feb 22 (Make-up 2)
- Week 19 – Feb 29 (leap day)
- ROSTER FREEZE DATE - MARCH 7, 2020
- Week 20 – Mar 7
- Week 21 – Mar 14
- Week 22 – Mar 21
- Week 23 – Mar 28
- Make-up 3 – Apr 4
- Quarterfinals – Apr 18
- Semifinals – Apr 25
- Finals – May 2
- Game Length
- Games will be two 30-minutes halves with a 10-minute halftime.
- Games will have unlimited substitutions with re-entry
- 3 points for win
- 1 point for a tie
- 0 point for a loss
- Tiebreaker-The following tie-breakers will be used for resolving ties between teams in determining the Regular Season Standings, in the following order:
- Most Points
- Goal Difference
- Goals For
- Goals Against
- Coin Toss
- 3 Referees will be scheduled for ALL playoff games
- Top 8 teams make playoffs. 4 from North and 4 from South
- Top seed hosts throughout
- Finals host tiebreakers
- Head to Head
- 1N vs 4S
- 2N vs 3S
- 1S vs 4N
- 2S vs 3N
- Winner of 1N / 4S vs 2N / 3S
- Winner of 1S / 4N vs 2S / 3N
- Red Cards:
- If a Red Card is shown, it will result in a minimum of a one (1) game suspension. This includes a Red Card as a result of two cautions. Any player used during a suspension will be considered an illegal player and the team, coach and club will be punished accordingly. It is the team’s and/or club’s responsibility to ensure their Red Carded player/coach serves the minimum 1 game suspension.
- There shall be two types of suspensions:
- Minor Offenses – These include send-offs for normal soccer actions, 2nd yellow cards, etc. Minor offenses will result in a 1 game suspension.
- Major Offenses – These include send-offs for violent actions. Major offenses will result in the NPL West committee determining the suspension.
- Suspensions for both minor and major offenses, for both players and coaches, shall be served immediately in NPL West Competition. The player/coach shall serve the suspension with the team the violation occurred with. Players may not compete for another team in their club in NPL West competitions until their suspension is first served. However, coaches may coach another team in their club during their suspension but must serve their suspension in full with the team the violation occurred.
- Away team shall wear dark uniform
- Home team shall wear light uniform
- Games will use a size 4 soccer ball
- Game Day Operations
- Home teams will be required to provide both teams competing the following:
- Team Benches
- Cups do NOT need to be provided. Players should bring their own bottles for the water.
- US Club Soccer
- Staff Registration
- Staff Passes: Staff passcards for any staff member in an NPL Club shall be issued for a two- year period. All staff shall submit to a background check every two years.
- Staff passcard fees shall be $25 per person (Pass valid for 2 years)
- ***In addition, approximately every two years, staff members registering with US Club Soccer also need to:
- Complete a background screening ($18)
- Complete the Sideline Sports Doc-US Club Soccer online course ($5)
- Complete SafeSport Trained (Free)
- Player Registration
- 11U - $18 per player
- 12U and older - $24 per player
- Registration Year is August 1-July 31
- NPL West & Referees payable to SoCal Premier
- League Dues - $1,250 per team
- Referee Fees* - $30 per team / per game (25 games will be collected up front $720). 1 REFEREE on gameday.
- Bond - The pre-paid referee fees will serve as the Team Bond.
- TOTAL - $2,000 per team.
- SoCal Premier will pay referee fees for Semi-final and Final games
- All payments must be made by July 1, 2019
- Referees will be paid by the league, no money will be paid to referees on the field.
- Payment plans may be set up upon request.
- Costs NOT INCLUDED
- Fields - Clubs must provide their own home fields and cover field costs.
- Trainer - SoCal Premier will not provide a trainer at games, it is not a requirement for the U11/12 division to provide a trainer.
- Club costs - all team/club/player costs are the responsibility of the club - coaches/uniforms/balls/equipment/goals/nets, etc.
*Note - There will be 1 referee per game as determined by club vote to save on costs. The referee will be an adult, minimum grade 8.
- Outside Competitions
- Teams are allowed to play in outside competitions and are free to choose which competitions the teams play in, as long as it does not conflict with the league. The league will look to keep weekends open for the teams to participate in other competitions.